Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Honesty and Entrepreneurship

A friend and I were talking the other day. She knows I have a burning desire to become an entrepreneur (not a wealthy get me a mansion kinda of wealth but just being able to quite my night job kinda wealth.)

Me: My promotional products business just is not taking off like I would like it to.

Friend: That's because you don't lie.

Me: No I don't lie.

Friend: That's the problem! How many times have you went to a restaurant and they promised its the best food you will every taste, and it's not. How many times have you been to a dealership and you don't wind up getting the car you would like to get. You have got to learn to lie at the drop of a hat. (snap, snap)

Me: (Thinking to myself) If lying is the only way to get business then maybe business is not for me. There has got to be a way to put honesty and entrepreneurship together.

For all you entrepreneurs do you feel that sometimes you might have to stretch the truth to get a sale.

5 comments:

Ali said...

I don't have my own business but I know if I did the marketing aspect of it would suffer. I don't know if it's modesty or what but I would feel weird saying that it was the Greatest! Thing! Ever!

PromoMama said...

The same for me. I really like marketing but having to stretch the truth is not for me.

LaTonya Yvette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaTonya Yvette said...

Hey Ms. Liz, I feel honesty is the best policy. Put yourself in the other persons shoes.

Juanita Harris said...

Hi,
I agree, honesty is the best policy. I would feel bad if I lied to someone and then ended up with an unsatisfied customer. If you have a good prodcut, what is there to lie about.

Also, I'd like to know what business your friend has going on. Where is the advice coming from? If she hasn't been there, she really doesn't have the experience to give advice.